India’s cricket governing body has expressed reservations about the ICC’s policy of inviting bidders (Expression of Interest) to host global tournaments over the next 8 year cycle between 2023-2031.
At an ICC board meeting on Thursday, the BCCI made clear they are completely opposed to the idea that the global body is issuing EOI and demanding money from a potential host country.
“The BCCI brass has made their displeasure clear about this EOI concept for the next cycle during yesterday’s board meet,” said a senior BCCI official with knowledge of the development.
“In fact, we are confident of getting good support from England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket Australia (CA).” The Expression of Interest concept has help from ICC Chief Executive Manu Sawhney, who has support from boards such as Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
“Even some of the smaller boards like Oman and Emirates Cricket board along with Malaysia and Singapore are among those who have submitted combined EOI for hosting global meets,” the source said.
It is believed that there have been around 93 Expressions of Interest in 28 ICC events (men, women, and U19) during the 2023-31 cycle, but this push to demand money for the granting of hosting rights has met a roadblock of the world’s richest cricket board, which is basically against such a policy.
It is also learned that some influential boards have so far not finished with ICC’s plan to hold one flagship event in each of the next 8 years during the next cycle.